Friday, September 16, 2011

New York City~Doughnut Planet, Gruppo Pizza

A couple of years ago, I remember watching a show that highlighted "Doughnut Planet" in New York City. It could have been the Travel Channel's "Fried Food Paradise" show or the Food Network's "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." 
Some of the donut flavors include: blueberry, banana pecan, carrot cake, green tea.  On the episode I watched, I remember them focusing on the peanut butter and jelly donut. The peanut butter and the jelly were all made from scratch.  I think the Doughnut Plant even had a secret patented process to make a filled square donut. 

Look at the unusual assortment of flavors and colored donuts!
Mmmmm...peanut butter and jelly doughnut! It's really a grape jelly filled donut with a peanut butter glaze. 
Mike and I concluded that we would chose Round Rock donuts over this donut, but I do not think it's fair to compare a gourmet donut to a hot, fresh, plain yeast donut.  It's also difficult to compare a $3-4 donut to one that is $0.70. 

Doughnut Plant
379 Grand St
New York, NY 10002
(212) 505-3700
Mike and I wanted to eat pizza in New York City and one of our friends that lives in New York recommended "Gruppo." I bought the lunch special, which was a drink and two slices of pizza for around $6-7. The pizza was delicious and just the way I like it...thin crust, but thick enough that it has a slight chew to it. 
Funny story about the pizza. I wanted to order one slice with olives and one slice with mushrooms. Did you notice that there is broccoli on the pizza? For some reason my brain did not communicate with my mouth and I ordered broccoli pizza.  (FYI-broccoli is one of my least favorite vegetables, unless it's stir-fried. No mushy broccoli for me).  Mike even looked at me funny, repeated, "broccoli?" and I said "yeah."  Dumb, dumb Lauren. I blame it on the heat and getting lost finding restaurants.   

186 Avenue B , Bet. 12th and 11th St.
NY, NY 10009
212-995-2100

No comments: