Friday, April 12, 2013

Chayote Squash

Do you know what this is? It's chayote squash! From my mom's garden! My mom only has one vine, yet the squash keeps growing and growing.  Mike decided that he wanted to grow his own squash and planted some seeds about one month ago.  He told his grandma that he was going to grow chayote squash and she started laughing and exclaimed, "That's what we used to feed to the pigs!" Mike is now growing pig food in the backyard.
I decided to research chayote squash online and I did not realize how healthy it is.  The fruit is low in Calories and high in folic acid, Vitamin C and potassium.  Apparently you can use the leaves for tea to help lower blood pressure
I placed a cell phone next to the squash so that you can see how big they are. 

Stay tuned, in the next couple of months we may have our own chayote squash from "Mike's Garden."  Also, that means that we will start posting different chayote squash recipes!

2 comments:

K and S said...

my mom used to pickle those.

genkitummy said...

ooo...I'll have to try to pickle it!