Thursday, May 24, 2012

IHOP

This may sound a bit strange, but can you believe that I had never been to an International House of Pancakes (IHOP) ever in my life until a few weeks ago? Oahu did not have an IHOP while I was growing up and I think Maui opened up an IHOP when I was in college.  

Mike likes IHOP, but didn't want to get my hopes up and kept repeating, "IHOP serves quantity not necessarily quality food."  Gee, what kind of preface was this? But place was packed on the weekend and we had to wait about 10 minutes for a table, that I thought, "Hmmm it must be good."
I ordered strawberry pancakes with eggs and hash browns. If a restaurant has "pancake" in it's name, you should order pancakes, right? Can you believe, a large portion of eggs, hash browns, 2 pancakes topped with strawberries, cream cheese sauce, and whipped cream for about $5!
I thought that these pancakes were light, fluffy and tasty (and I'm a waffles girl versus a pancake girl).
Mike ordered the chicken fried steak plate, which came with 2 eggs, hash browns, and buttermilk pancakes.  He could not finish his meal.
So, what's the verdict? I told Mike that I'd go to IHOP once a year.  I think the food was good, but I'm not a big breakfast fan. I did, however, like it more than Breadwinners.  I might lose my food reviewing credibility because a lot of people love Breadwinners and always recommend it as one of the brunch places to go to in Dallas. But I've given them a couple of chances and a soggy cold waffle just isn't good. Breadwinners does have some winners like the Texas Eggs Benedict, but I'd take IHOP over them.  Maybe I just have simple tastes.

No comments: