Sunday, July 24, 2011

Boston Bakeries~Flour Bakery and Cafe

Flour Bakery was another Boston restaurant that I wanted to check out.  Joanne Chang of Flour was named as one of the "Outstanding Pastry Chef" in the 2011 James Beard Awards. 
This is a picture of the Cambridge location.  I am not the best driver in the world, so it took me a while to arrive at this little shop. Luckily, my Driver's Ed training came in handy as I easily parallel parked in coveted street parking.

I ordered the grilled roast chicken, brie, arugula, peppers, and caramelized onion panini.  Yummy.  When faced with a multitude of choices at restaurants, the key food items that I gravitate towards are "caramelized onions," "arugula," and "brie."  Although, if I were to go back to the cafe, I would probably order the intriguing "roast  chicken, avocado, and jicama .sandwich. 
I read a bunch of yelp reviewers and people raved about the sticky buns with sticky caramel and pecans. I thought it looked better than it tasted. 
Mmmm...now this lemon raspberry cake was good! I would recommend this cake over the sticky bun.  It was lemon pound cake, tart lemon curd, raspberries, and buttercream. 
On another trip back to Boston, a couple of co-workers and I checked out another location of Flour. I saw a bunch of people ordering the "house made raspberry seltzer" at the Cambridge location, so I decided to test it out. Yum yum! This soda was tasted like fresh raspberries...it was so good that I decided to make my own syrup and soda at home.  My only complaint about the seltzer was that it was too sweet for my tastes, but most beverages are too sweet to me.
Lemon lust-creamy, tart lemon curd. Let's just say that the "Flour" bakery makes a superb lemon curd.  This is the same stuff that was in the lemon raspberry cake. 
I also tried  the dark chocolate chunk cookie and that cookie was delicious too. Full of chocolate and not too sweet. 
Ooey-gooey caramel nut tart



190 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge MA 02139

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you. Those desserts look great. I'd have to exercise a heck of a lot to indulge in them. Good thing you run!

M&DT

genkitummy said...

The desserts were yummy. Yeah, and unfortunately I have to run and exercise more to eat them. :(

Chou said...

My favorite sticky bun is still in Chicago . . .