Sunday, October 26, 2008

Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Papa Del's

12:00 - Papa Del's

Oh, the things I've heard about Papa Del's. Most love it, a few hate it. Well....hate is a strong word. A better way to put it is that they prefer other pizzas. The debate lies around the crust. Some believe it to be too bready, while some rave and can't get enough. One guy even refined his own Papa Del's home recipe. It takes over 5 hours to make. I give him credit, but if it were me, and I liked it (haven't tried it yet), I'd probably just go out and buy the darn thing. I mean, spending $10 on a pizza is way better then using all that time. That's like $2 an hour. In 5 hours, you could get a minimum wage job for 2 hours, watch football for 3 hours, and have the pizza delivered to your door with enough for tip. Anyway, enough ranting. I can't wait to try this pizza. I love pizza, so odds are that it'll be out of this world!
We ordered a slice of mushroom deep dish pizza ($2.50) since we wanted something a little lighter, and it was the only way we could think of to make deep dish pizza lighter. It was warm and filled with cheese. Not to bready like I'd heard it might be. Plus the mushrooms added a lot of good flavor. Don't get me wrong, because I love pepperoni, but I think it is overdone on pizza sometimes. Papa Del's was everything it was hyped up to be. I still like the deep dish pizza I had in Chicago better, but I'm not going to drive 6 hours round trip to get it, and Papa Del's is only a few minutes away!

$3.44 - plus tax (half off of slices until the sell out!)
Total spent - $109.03

Papa Del's (menu)
217-359-7700
206 E Green St, Champaign, IL 61820

(Back to main blog)

No comments: