Sunday, October 26, 2008

Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Market at the Square

09:00 - Market at the Square
Urbana's Farmer's Market at Lincoln Square is open every Saturday from May through the beginning of November. This week, the market is renamed to "Market at the Scare" to celebrate Halloween.

I've been meaning to check out Tiny Greens which sells tiny greens (sprouts, grass, etc) for a while now, but everytime I ask Mike what he wants to order there, he says, "Something with meat." He's trying to be funnny when he says that because the only items on the menu are organic vegetables.
We decided to try the Magical Morning Tart ($7), which was goat cheese, honey, walnuts, fresh berries, and fennel sprouts on some kind of toasted pita. It was warm, and really good. The fennel has a almost licorice flavor which is really interesting. The vendor told us that it was his favorite because there were magical ingredients on it. He assured us that they were "legal" magical ingredients. I told him that the magical ingredients looked really good, and he called me a liar, since they were invisible. I think these two guys were joking....but either way, they were really entertaining. I said that they should sell stories with their food..this is what proceeded:

Bill: So one day I was in a forest, and I says to myself, Bill, cause that's what I call myself, you got to get out of this forest, so I thought about what to do to get....

Then a lady stopped by, and he had to tend to her so I never got to hear the rest of the story. Too bad, because it sounded like a fun story. I think he sold her some "sexy" (as he called them) green bell peppers though.

Above is an explanation of the Magical Morning Tart.

There are a lot of other vendors at the Market, mostly selling fruits and vegetables. It's a great morning activity, and kind of fun to do ONCE in a while (as opposed to almost every weekend which is what Lauren likes to do).

Here's a picture of some of the produce.

I guess Lauren thought the doggie water bowl can was cute :).

$7 - spent, no tax

Total spent - $91.2


Market at the Square (website) (blog)
217-384-2444
400 S Vine St, Urbana, IL 61801

(Back to main blog)

No comments: