Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Lanai~Lodge at Koele Restaurant

Lauren and I honeymooned on Lanai at the Four Season's Lodge at Koele. It was beautiful. I hear that Oprah bought out the whole place the week before for a retreat. For our "fancy" dinner," Lauren and I went to the (drum roll please!) "Main Dining Room." When I first found it online, I kept looking for the restaurant's name. 10 minutes, and one call to the Four Seasons later I was finally convinced that the "Main Dining Room," was in fact it's real name. I guess they spent so much building the rest of the resort, that they didn't have any money left over to hire someone to come up with and original name.
Our first course was an amuse bouche of cold potato cream soup with smoked salmon in it. Lauren thought it was too heavy and tasted like someone put salt in heavy cream with a few pieces of salmon, then brought it to the table. I didn't like it at first either, but I thought that the dish worked when you ate the salmon with the soup.
Lauren had pan-fried Onaga, topped with radish sprouts, on a crab artichoke slaw, in a Worcestershire sauce reduction, topped with an onion chip. Lauren really liked the slaw, and I agreed. In my opinion, the flavor was great, but the fish quality was mushy. I thought it was like eating overcooked potatoes. Lauren says, if you want to eat good fish, go to Roy's, Alan Wong's, or Nick's.
I decided to go for the gusto, and have the lobster. It was served out of its shell, in a hollandaise sauce, over mashed potatoes, garnished with asparagus, and caviar. Tasty, but small. I think there was the equivalent of 2/3 of an asparagus stalk in it, and it was a really small lobster.
Our meal was finished with a small desert for the two of us to share. Two pistachio cookies, and two chocolates. That pretty much summed up the entire meal. Nothing special. I was more tempted by the bacon and avocado burger I saw someone having the next day when we were having tea. (see other blog post)

How much would I pay?

Mike: Fish - $25 (I'd pay $42 for it if they used a quality piece of fish), Lobster - $30, Tea - until I become rich, I'll never do it again
Lauren: Fish - $20, Lobster - $25

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Well, the fish and the rest of the dinner look fabulous, even if the dessert wasn't up to par! Some day I'll make it to Lanai...but I probably won't be able to eat there! (I'm glad you put up the prices though; it's not awful!)

Unknown said...

That is true Michelle. Everything did look great, and it tasted pretty good too! All in all, it was a great experience, and I would recommend going to Lanai. It is really beautiful.