Monday, May 26, 2008

One Year Ago~ Stage Restaurant

One year ago, I was bawling my eyes out at a restaurant. I had just returned back home to Hawaii from my Study Abroad in Taiwan and my boyfriend said we were going out to dinner to celebrate my birthday early. (My boyfriend lives in Hawaii so I'd be back in Illinois for my real birthday).
*I apologize in advance for the poor descriptions of the food. I ate there over a year ago and never posted the pictures of the beautifully presented food.*

Dinner began with an amuse-bouche of cheese and a alcoholic chaser. I didn't care for the strong alcoholic flavor but it was presented well.
We started the off ordering two appetizers. Caramelized Diver’s Scallop
with Yuzu Beurre Noisette Emulsion, House Made Croutons,Green Apple, Parsnip Puree and crab with grapefruit (I forgot the name and am not giving it justice).




Mike ordered a duet lamb entree and I ordered a fish dish. My dish came complete with foam and a Misto to spray on a lemon dressing. I think this is the first restaurant in Hawaii that is trying to include the popular molecular gastronomy themed food. Think Wylie Dufresne of WD-50 or Richard on "Top Chef."



For dessert we ordered the Fantasy Chocolate Sampler. Nine different chocolate desserts all on one plate. My favorite was the chocolate crunch bars (which you can get at Alan Wong's). Pastry Chef Mark Okamura used to be the pastry chef at Alan Wong's Restaurant.



I also got a birthday dessert too. And on the dessert plate was a box...a tiny box.

Yup, so that's when it happened, Mike popped the question....and I did not answer him. I just started crying and asking him, "Are you sure?" (yeah, I'm soooo romantic :P). I guess my crying was causing a scene because a nice group on a table next to us sent us two glasses of champagne. Mike had to ask me again because I was crying so much that I forgot to answer him. Well, it's been over a year now and the countdown has begun. In less than 100 days we will be married. I'm super excited and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with such an amazing guy!

Even though the food was just mediocre, the night was definitely one to remember!

Stage Restaurant
Honolulu Design Center
1250 Kapiolani Blvd., 2nd floor
Phone 237-5429

4 comments:

K and S said...

that is so cool, Congratulations!!

genkitummy said...

thanks kat!

Anonymous said...

What a nice story. Those 100 days will go by in a flash! :)

Chou said...

It looks like a fab dinner.