Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lemon Bars

My Lemon Bar Quest.
I've been on a lemon bar quest for about three years. I've been trying to create the perfect lemon bar. My definition of a "perfect" lemon bar is a 2:1 ratio of lemon filling to crust, a crisp and crumbly shortbread-like crust, with a tart and tangy lemon filling reassembling a slighty chewy tacky center rather than a curd.

All my attempts have not met the level of perfection I am striving for. All I know is that I have to use lemon zest in the recipe. I have to be careful when reducing the sugar and eggs in the recipe. I will not precook the lemon filling prior to placing it on the precooked crust. When I have the time, I will sit down with my Food Chem books and On Food and Cooking and try to come up with a scientific recipe.

RSBC status:
Running=17 miles
Swimming=2 miles
Biking=94 miles
Cook=3

No comments: