Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Proclamation! A Proclamation! A Proclamation!

"A proclamation, a proclamation, a proclamation!" say the naked mole rats from Mo Willems' book, "Naked Mole Rat gets Dressed" (Yes, we have memorized some of the stories that we read to our baby girl).

This is a big announcement to you all!

Mike and I are heading back home to Hawaii! It has always been a thought in the back of our minds to eventually move back home.  Mike was uber nice to me after I received my doctorate degree in Food Science-he quit his job back home in Hawaii and we moved to Texas so that I would not "waste' my degree and all those years of schooling.  Mike gave up his engineering job and became a teacher in Texas, while I worked for corporate America.

 We said we would give it 3-5 years and make a decision from there.  Everything was status quo here, I enjoyed my job, we made a lot of great friends...and then came our baby girl.

We know that we are financially better off in Texas, but we want to raise our daughter in Hawaii near our family.  We had a nice time in Texas, made some life-long friends, and are sad to say goodbye to them.

I'm not sure what kind of work I will be doing in Hawaii yet. I'm looking into food companies, culinary jobs, and teaching opportunities back home.  Hopefully the job market is better than I remember it to be. I also may decide to take care of our baby for a few months before sending her off to daycare.

So a few days ago, I put in my two weeks notice.  We will be back home just in time to celebrate the winter holidays with family and friends.  Wish us luck!

No comments: