Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Enchiladas Part I

If you have been following this blog, the focus has been shifting towards quick homemade meals. We haven't had a lot of time to check out restaurants with the kiddo, and kitchen prep time has been cut in half.  Now I can understand why there are so many "quick meal" type cookbooks. 
A friend of ours dropped off enchiladas a few weeks back and a thoroughly enjoyed them. I have never ordered enchiladas before and never liked them because they were usually soggy and covered in sauce.  The enchiladas that my friend dropped off were dry and the sauce was on the side.  So, I decided that I now like enchiladas and wanted to make my own. 
Sliced onions and bell peppers.
I threw about  five chicken breasts, one medium onion, two medium bell peppers, a can of stewed tomatoes, and a bunch of spices (paprika, cumin, chicken bouillon cube, basically whatever I felt like throwing in) into a crockpot for a 6 hours.
Voila! Cooked chicken.  I shredded it and I now had filling for my enchiladas.
I bought some yellow corn tortillas.  They are harder and more rubbery than flour tortillas, so I had to heat them up on a pan before filling them.
I tested out my tortilla skills and flipped them by hand.  :) Then I handed them over to Mike for rolling.
I had Mike fill the corn tortillas, and then he rolled them and froze them for later use. This is a picture of the tortilla that I filled. Mike may have filled it with double the portion of chicken because we were only about to make about 15 rolls. 
We have not eaten them yet, but plan to take them out of the freezer one night, bake them in the oven, and then top them with an enchilada sauce.  I just have to find a good recipe.  Any ideas?
To Be Continued...

No comments: