Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chicken Marsala

After the baby was born, Mike and I have been trying to cook faster dinners.  The other night I made chicken marsala. I also usually do not measure my ingredients when I am rushing and just estimate the ratios and ingredient proportions and flavor it according to my liking.

Ingredients (Approximate Amounts):
2 Chicken Breasts (I used breast and chopped them up in smaller pieces so that it would cook faster)
3/4 cup Flour
1 t. Italian Seasoning
1/2 t. Salt
1/8 t. Black Pepper
Mix the flour, seasoning, salt, and black pepper together.  Coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture.
Pan fry the chicken in oil until chicken is light brown in color.  Take chicken pieces off the pan and leave on the side for later use.

Other Ingredients

Cooking Oil
1/2 Medium Onion,
~1 c. Chicken Stock
~1/2 c. Marsala Wine
2-3 T. Sugar (This is to taste. I like my sauce sweeter than most people)
8 oz Mushrooms (sliced)
Fry onions, then place the chicken back into the pan, add the chicken stock and simmer.  The flour on the chicken and the residual flour on the pan should combine with the chicken stock and thicken up the sauce.  Add the mushrooms, wine, and sugar.  Cook until the mushrooms look cooked. Done!



I'm not sure if this recipe qualifies as a 30 minute meal since I did not time myself, but it is probably really close to a 30 minute meal. I also bought pre-sliced mushrooms so that reduced my prep time for the recipe too.
I like to separate the pasta from the chicken and sauce and then pour the sauce over the pasta just before serving.
After we ate, mixed the noodles into the sauce and packed my lunch. You could also stir in the pasta and serve it like this prior to serving.

Mike's comments were, "It's good, but it would have been better with a little bit more marsala wine and butter."  Hahaha Mike, I didn't use any butter... If I want to impress people in the future, I will use butter. 

No comments: