Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Texas Restaurants~Stephen Pyles Samar

Here's another restaurant that we checked out pre-baby. We went to Stephen Pyles "Samar," fancy tapas bar that serves Spanish, Mediterranean, and Indian inspired tapas. I've been wanting to visit a Stephen Pyles restaurant for the longest time and last year I received a gift card to Stephen Pyles and never got around to using it.
I, as well as the receptionist at Samar that it was hilarious when Mike made reservations, the receptionist asked us what we were celebrating and he answered with, "The death of our social life because the baby's coming soon." The receptionist started laughing and said, "I'm not sure what to write in the comments section here."
Black Hummus-Chefs creation of hummus with black sesame seeds and squid ink for the signature black color.  This was my favorite dish of the night.
Potatoes and Chorizo with Egg and Foie Gras. This dish sounds good, but a similar dish we ate in Spain was so much better.
Haulomi stuffed squash blossoms with a pomegranate and green olive sauce. I enjoyed the combinations of flavors and textures on the plate. I like the tart pomegranate seeds and the creamy cheese. 
Tandoori Chicken Butter Masala with Tomatoes and Fenugreek. This was my least favorite dish. I've never been to India before, but I've tasted much better Butter Chicken type dishes at Indian restaurants. 
Dark Chocolate and Spiced Pecan Baklava

Would we go back to Samar again? Probably not.  One of our "foodie" friends raved about the food here, but he visited the restaurant during one of the special nights.  Overall, we were disappointed and Mike evaluated the restaurant by saying that taking into consideration the price and taste, he would eat a 2-choice plate from Panda Express.  All the food that we ordered cost a little over $50, and I think Mike would still choose a Panda plate for $25 versus the food we ordered. 

Samar 
2100 Ross Avenue at Olive Street
Dallas, TX 75201
214.922.9922

No comments: