Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Secret Brownie Bars

Two weekends ago, Mike and I were social butterflies and had about six different events to attend from Friday to Sunday. We were supposed to have a low-key Saturday night of just lounging around the apartment prepping for the baby, but then found out that an event was actually on Saturday night instead of the following Saturday.  
Yes, I know. Pregnant ladies do not have to stand on their feet and bake in the kitchen, but for some strange reason, I feel pretty good and am still in the kitchen baking.  We could have easily stopped by Sam's Cluba and picked up an apple pie or picked up some beers on the way to the party, but I would have none of it.  So, Mike and I had a little under three hours to whip up a dessert.  These brownie bars are slowly making it into my "For Keeps" Recipe book (these are my tried and true recipes that I can fall back on. Most of the recipes in it are from my mom's recipe book back home).
I basically start off following the directions on a box of chewy brownie mix. Duncan Hines works well, although I'm a Ghirardelli fan.  Ghirardelli brownie box mixes only make a 9"x9" pan, while other brands make a 9"x13" pan, so I stick with box mixes that make a larger pan size.
I slightly underbake the brownies (fudgy brownies are so good), then top it with mini marshmallows and Rice Krispies.
There is no measuring what-so-ever and then I melt some Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Chips (in the residual heat in my oven) and then spread it over the marshmallows and Rice Krispies. For the sake of time, I let the brownies cool on a rack, and then threw it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
We cut those brownies, put them in muffin cups and jetted out of our house with time to spare!

3 comments:

K and S said...

I've had these before, so good!

Razzie said...

spread a layer of peanut butter on the hot brownies of mix in with the melted chocolate....so good that way too! Jeremy used to make something like this with whatever random toppings in the house

genkitummy said...

Kat-yup, so good, so good!
Razzie-Hi! Mmm...peanut butter on the top sounds good! I'll have to try that the next time I make brownies.