Friday, July 13, 2012

Decorated Sugar Cookies Round 2


I decided to attempt to make sugar cookies once again.  This time, I only decorated LARGE cookies.  A friend's baby shower was the other weekend and she's having a boy. Not only did I decorate onesies cookies, we also decorated onesies and bibs at her shower.
Here's all the pre-made cookies. I baked them the night before so that the task of baking and decorating the cookies did not consume my whole night. I baked these cookies until they were crispy (instead of soft in the middle). After I decorated the cookies, they had a softer texture (I blame it on the moisture in the icing and the humidity due to the weather). I thought that the recipe I used was pretty good.  It reminded me of the Diamond Brand Hawaii bead cookies.
Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter (4 oz)
1 stick margarine (4 oz)
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t. lemon extract
1/2 t. vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup whole or 2% milk (I mixed heavy cream and skim milk)

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to butter and sugar mixture. Add the milk.  Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out the dough on a floured surface.  Cut out cookies into desired shapes and place on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Cool on metal rack.  



I prepared multiple bags of frosting (thicker frosting for lining) and less viscous frosting to fill in the lined frosting. This made decorating so much easier than my first attempt.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is your icing recipe?

genkitummy said...

I've been trying different recipes. These are the ones that are pretty good. Plus since these cookies have been fed to pregnant folk, I've been using powdered egg whites, instead of fresh egg whites to minimize any foodborne illnesses due to uncooked eggs.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/royal-icing-recipe/index.html
(I had to add more water to this recipe for the "filling" icing. This is a good recipe for outlining the cookie.
The other link is for a more runny icing.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/royal-icing-iii/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=royal%20icing&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page