Monday, August 30, 2010

Texas Restaurants~Fearing's

Back in 2009, I was at the Research Chefs Association's annual conference in Dallas and helped to plate some of Dean Fearing's food. We got to meet the chef and got to eat some of the food that he had prepared for one of the events.  At that time, I didn't realize that he was one a famous and popular chef in Dallas. I thought that the food was underwhelming, but not my cup of tea.  I decided to give Dean Fearing's food another shot, so last week  I went to a girl's night out at Fearing's, which is known for upscale southwestern food.  
 
 
Corn Muffin

Dean's Tortilla Soup with South of the Border Flavorings

Mesquite Grilled Wild Salmon Glazed with Apricot Barbecue Sauce,
Black-Eyed Peas and Living Watercress Salad (I ordered the salmon)
Chili Braised Short Ribs with Queso Fresco Corn Whipped Potatoes and Crispy Tobacco Onions


Watermelon/Jalapeno Glazed Berkshire Pork Tenderloin
on Sweet Corn Pan Stuffing with Gunbarrel City Greens and Fried Okra

Duo of Dessert
Caramel Brownie Sundae and Texas Peach Parfait


A lot of people that I talk to really enjoy this restaurant, after all it is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Dallas, TX.  But I left the restaurant feeling the same way I did after eating Fearing's food back at the RCA conference.  The food was "okay" nothing spectacular or any dishes worth recommending.  Maybe the food was just "okay" because we ordered off the Restaurant Week menu.  Maybe the regular menu has better food options.  Maybe the atmosphere is more upscale and elegant in other parts of the restaurant (it seemed like all the Restaurant Week patrons were seated in a separate room from the main dining area).  Maybe my palate just doesn't like upscale southwestern food.  Maybe there was just too much hype around Fearing's being a great restaurant.  My conclusion is that there were too many "maybes" about the restaurant that I told Mike that it would not be worth his time and money to try Fearing's out.  
If I had left Mike home when I went to Lonesome Dove, there would be no question in my mind that I would say, "Mike, you have to try out Lonesome Dove, I'm sure you'd really enjoy it." But nope, I have the complete opposite opinion of Fearing's. 


Fearing's
at the Ritz Carlton 
2121 McKinney Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75201 
(214)922-4848

No comments: