Sunday, October 26, 2008

Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Seven Saints

01:00 - Seven Saints

Described as "the quintessential downtown bar" by General Manager Andy Borbely, Seven Saints wows patrons with sliders, salads, and many other culinary delights. Reviewers enjoy its Modern/Gothic furnishings, and describe the menu with words such as "variety" and "something for everyone." One review that especially excited me said it was "not a place for dieters." Translation into Mike-speak is "a place with some seriously tasty food." I know that in general you've got to be healthy, but when it comes down to it, as I always say "fat is flavor." Seven Saints even has wireless, so we’re sending our first post here.
At the Seven Saints we ordered the smokey BBQ slider (recommended by the waitress($3.79)), the buffalo chicken slider($2.99), and the beet chips and goat cheese sauce ($5.99). Mmmm....beet chips. I saw this on the online menu and already knew I was going to order them and like them...and I did. The sliders were quite delicious too. I preferred the BBQ slider which was topped with 2 large crispy slices of bacon, an onion ring, and BBQ sauce. Extra points for crispy bacon!
The atmosphere in Seven Saints was totally different from Radio Maria. Where Radio Maria was busy and exciting, Seven Saints was relaxed and mellow, although I think it might have had something to do with the fact that we were there at 1:00 am. Lauren and I are both not partiers, so it was more up our alley. My initial impression was skepticism on the sliders, because I wondered how sliders could be “great.” Aren’t they just meat and bread? The variety at Seven Saints impressed me. There is even a salmon slider! And the quality of the sliders we ate was wonderful. The buffalo chicken slider was awesome. The sauce was great, and the ranch side was good too. The BBQ slider had tons of bacon, and the burger was yummy.
$16 spent including tax and tip
$35 total spent...can we make it? And can Lauren stay awake? Her head has already hit the table as I’m writing this!

Seven Saints (review)
217-351-7775
32 E Chester St, Champaign, IL 61820

(Back to main blog)

No comments: