Sunday, October 26, 2008

Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Geovanti's Bar and Grill

03:00 - Geovanti's Bar and Grill
Like many bars in college towns across America, Geovanti's provides college students with late night munchies. As the name might suggest, Geovanti's specializes bar food with and Italian twist. Food specials occur from midnight till 3am. That's what we're after tonight. Seriously, how many places are open this late!
The first time I went to Geovanti’s was in the afternoon for lunch. I thought that the chicken sandwich I ordered was tasty and that I would return back. Well, revisiting Geovanti’s in the early hours of the morning is another story. Imagine a lot of drunk college students shouting orders at calm yet fed-up workers. The atmosphere of the restaurant left more of an impression (unfavorable) one than the food, but really it’s not Geovanti’s fault.
So much to write, so much to write, and almost none of it is about the food. Most of it is about what comes with drunk food...drunk people. So we get inside, and the place is a mess. Soda is spilled on the floor with trash, and the place is packed. There are drunk people everywhere. I ordered a Italian sausage sandwich ($4.95), and the cashier rings it up with fries ($6), but I let it slide because I feel bad for the guy. While I was ordering a girl was attempting to carry on a conversation with him...here’s how it went:

Girl: Did you just call out #96?
Cashier: Yeah.
Girl: I think that might be my order, but I’m not sure
Cashier: What’d you order?
Girl: I’m not sure....do you know what I ordered....do you know if that’s mine, because I think it might be. Hey (to random guy behind her), do you know what I ordered?
Random Guy: I'm not sure what I ordered.
Cashier: I don’t know if it’s yours....
Around that time, the real owner of order 96 showed up. When my order was called, and we opened it up we found out that it was some kind of roast beef. Once again, I let it slide because I felt bad for the employees....plus I thought they would kill me if I returned it. Here’s the conversation that went on when I got my food (order #114):

Cook: #114
Guy (not me): That’s mine.....hey wait, this isn’t a calzone!
Cook: Let me see that...this isn’t your order...you’re not #114
Guy: Oh, well I ordered mine a while ago, so I figured this would be mine
Cook: Calzones take 20-30 minutes
Guy: No one told me that! That sucks....
Cook: It's right there on the sign you used to order.....
Guy: NO, it only says that calzones take 20 minutes, it doesn't say that the one I ordered takes that long.
Me: I'm order #114

Two things I learned from this experience: 1) Reasoning with drunk people is not fun at all, and 2) Watching someone try to reason with drunk people is really fun. Anyway, on to the food. The fries were thick and crispy, and the roast beef...or whatever it was was tasty, but a little dry. It would have been great if there was some kind of sauce to go over it. Bottom line, the food was plentiful, tasty, and hot, and if I was drunk, I'd stumble my way to Geovanti's any night.

$6 spent
Total spent - $48.03

Geovanti's (website)
217-344-4600
401 E Green St, Champaign, IL 61820

(Back to main blog)

No comments: