Sunday, March 30, 2008

brownies


My daily routine is to wake up, use the bathroom, turn on the tv and then make my breakfast. I usually turn on the tv to channel 22 (the weather channel), then to channel 10 (the today show), and then to channel 42 (the food network).
This morning Nigella Lawson on the Food network inspired me to make brownies. I am a fan of box brownies (Ghirardelli) and have never been able to create a brownie from scratch that had the gooey, chocolaty, and fudgy characteristics that I enjoy. Since I wanted to rid my pantry of chocolate, I decided to test my luck at a homemade brownie. And boy was it yummy! I am a harsh critic of my cooking, but it had the fudgy characteristics that I love!
I also like to incorporate fiber into most of my food (because most Americans do not consume the recommended 25-30g of fiber a day), so I tossed it into this matrix.
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 T unsalted butter
2 T water
1.5 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips*
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
2/3 c. flour (sifted)
1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. Fibersure (optional)
1/4 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a 8"x8" pan
2. Combine sugar, butter, and water. Heat on medium heat until boiling. Take off the burner and mix in the chocolate until smooth. Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
3. Combine and sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix into the chocolate mixture.
4. Stir in the extra 1/4 c. of chocolate chips.
5. Pour and spread into the pan.
6. bake for 25-30 minutes, cool and then cut into squares.
*I used a mixture of dark chocolate hershey's kisses, ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chips, and nestle semi-sweet chocolates. If you really like dark chocolate, I'd recommend the ghiradelli. They are my favorite and you can buy a huge bag of this at Sam's Club.

No comments: