Sunday, February 13, 2011

Poke Bowls

One of the foods that Mike misses the most is raw fish. Be in sashimi, sushi, and poke. I'm sure that there are a lot of restaurants in Texas that serve high quality raw fish, but Mike and I have not tested those waters yet. Therefore, during our short vacation back home to Hawaii, we ate tons of raw fish.  Wait, for those of you who know me, let me rephrase that last sentence, "Mike ate a lot of raw fish." 
Paina Cafe's poke bowl.  Mike ordered a bowl with half shoyu poke and half spicy tuna. We opted to add a taegu topping to the bowl. My parents really like the additional taegu.
Mike's friend ordered the "Hawaiian Poke Bowl" which includes kalua pig, lomi salmon and your choice of poke. At $7.25 for this bowl, I'd say it is a good deal!

Poke from Foodland.
Spicy tuna from Foodland
Tako (Octopus) Poke from Foodland
I read about Ono Seafood on another blog and wanted to check it out. You can choose between shoyu poke, spicy tuna poke, tako poke, or any combination of the three pokes.  The poke bowl is reasonably priced at $6 and that includes a can of juice/soda or a bottle of water
I ordered the spicy tuna bowl. . This spicy tuna was composed of raw fish, onions, green onions, and tabiko (flying fish eggs). I liked the addition of the crunchy fish eggs, but I was not a fan of all the raw onions in my spicy tuna.  It was more of a gourmet type spicy tuna rather than the traditional conveyor belt sushi bar spicy tuna.
Ward Warehouse
1200 Ala Moana Blvd
#24
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808)356-2829
Ono Seafood
747 Kapahulu Ave Apt 4
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 732-4806

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love Paina Cafe!! Foodland is always a great area to get good poke, we recently got what they call California Roll poke, it has ahi, crab, cucumber & avo in it - its pretty good!

Haven't made it out to Ono Seafood yet, I will soon!

~TastyTravels~ said...

I seem to be drooling all over myself! Dang, I have serious poke cravings now! =0)

genkitummy said...

Melissa-Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. Mmm...California Roll poke sounds good. I'll have to try it next time I'm back at home. Maybe I can figure out to make it here in Texas.

Holly-hahaha. sorry for giving you poke cravings. Every time I visit your blog I get inspired to cook more tasty healthy dishes incorporating fresh vegetables!