Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pompidou Center -Paris, France

I am in no way, shape, or form an "art buff." I appreciate art, but I cannot tell you why I enjoy a piece. Back in high school, I had quite a few amazing English teachers, and in my senior year, my teacher exposed us to art and poetry along with the normal English works.  We became familiar with stylistic elements in artwork (much like in literature), that we look at an art piece and make an educated guess on the artist. 

So that's the limited extent of my art background. 

One of my my favorite museums that we visited in Paris, was the Pompidou Center, which is famous for it's exoskeleton architectural design. The majority of the escalators and walkways are housed in the exterior of the building. 

Here are some of the pieces that I enjoyed viewing at the Pompidou Center in Paris. 
I remember my English teaching showing us a image of a blue painting and asking us it was art. But did you know that this is actually a patented blue color?  It's called "International Klein Blue" by Yves Klein.  This was not one of my favorite pieces, I just thought it was neat to see it in person.



"Woman in Blue" by Picasso. I did not necessarily enjoy this piece, but guessed that it was Picasso due to the stylistic elements.

If I had to sum up my favorite type of art, it would be a combination of modern art with architectural elements. I love Frank Lloyd Wright's work and think that he was a genius beyond his time. Visiting the Pompidou Center was a refreshing break from all the other museums that we visited. 
75004 Paris, France

No comments: