Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Texas Restaurants~Bavarian Grill

Mike and I have been trying to reduce the frequency in which we eat dinners out. I personally prefer to eat home-cooked meals because we usually cook healthier meals and it's always fun to experiment and cook new dishes. We have been trying to limit our dining at restaurants to social gathering with friends or special occasions.
A few months ago Mike, a couple of friends, and I met up for dinner at the Bavarian Grill, which has received numerous awards for "Best German Restaurant."
Since I do not enjoy sausages or veal, I decided to go the Vegetarian route, and ordered the Altbayerische Gemüse Platte (Bavarian vegetable platter with our red cabbage, authentic sweet and sour sauerkraut, creamy spinach, grilled tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms and pasta dumplings).  After I ordered this dish and realized that most of the vegetables were pickled, I was not a happy camper.  In retrospect, I should have ordered a schnitzel. 
The beers the boys tried. I think the beer in the short glass is a dark ale and the other beer is a hefeweizen. 
Bayerischer "Gemischter Salat (fresh Carrots with a hint of Apple vinegar,
Green Beans with beef broth and "Bohnenkraut",Cucumber Dill, Tomato with green onions and the pickled beet salad).  This salad accompanied my friend's schnitzel. 

Schnitzel "Wiener Art"Kräuter Kartoffelsalat und gemischtem Salat (Breaded and pan-fried to a golden brown, served with warm herbed potato salad, and a mixed salad ).  I think this was the best tasting dish we ordered.
Würste mit Kräuter Kartoffelsalat und Sauerkraut (Your choice of our five sausages:
Bratwurst, Weisswurst, Knackwurst, Smoked Bratwurst or Nürnberger) served with warm herbed potato salad and sauerkraut. Mike opted to order the potato pancake instead of the warm herbed potato salad. 

A decided on a good analogy for my feelings towards German food.  Eating German food is like watching a sporting event. I will partake in the activity because I know Mike enjoys it and if I experience it multiple times, I someday might enjoy it. 

Bavarian Grill
West Parker Road
Plano, Texas 75023
(972) 881-0705

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your sentiments. It takes a while for us to embrace foods we're not quite familiar with. Who the heck could embrace balut?!:)

The pickled veges looked good.
I'd probably enjoy the German beer the most.

MD&T

suraya said...

i was sick of german food after about two meals when i was visiting this past september. i wanted fresh fruits and vegetables, which proved nearly impossible to find. and germans have no, i repeat, NO idea how to select or cook a piece of meat for a steak.

genkitummy said...

Mom and Dad-I'm not sure if I will ever like German food. But maybe after serveral attempts, I might actually enjoy it.

Suraya-You went to Germany this September? How fun!I'm sorry to hear about yoru German food experience.