Thursday, July 31, 2008

Flying Home~My Favorite Hawaii Restaurants

I'll be back in Hawaii in about 24 hours. The blog posts will be limited, but I already know I'll be checking out numerous restaurants during my three week stay back home.

Restaurants on tap:

Hanamaru
Doraku
Yogurt Land-it's not really a restaurant, but I would like to go there.


Places to go, things to see:

*Trying to include a day to the North Shore with K. and her mom, and V. for Matsumoto's, garlic shrimp, and other yummies
*Dim Sum at some place good
*Find some place that sells kulolo. Since the Ward Farmer's Market closed down
*The Poke Bowl
* The Fat Greek

Other restaurants/places that I always like to squeeze into my visit:

*KJ's -Furikake Chicken
*Ichiriki
*Dave's Ice Cream-lychee sorbet
*Shokudo or Sansei
*Samurai Shave Ice - for the Maui-style guri guri
*Liliha Bakery for Orange chiffon cake
*Zippy's for chili (both the regular and vegetarian)
*Wholesale Unlimited -my aunty''s store
*Ka Ikena at Kapiolani Community College (small factoid-I attended culinary school at KCC in 2004)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

just a note to let you know the ward market isnt closed :) Only tropics market closed. Helenas is still open.

Lore said...

Sounds like tons of fun and great food! Can't wait to read about it :)

Anonymous said...

call me if you go to yogurtland (during non-working hours)! i'm right up the street from the place. it's good, but still, i think it's unbelievably popular! i didn't think the tart flavors (tried green apple, blueberry, and strawberry) would be so good, but i really like them!
can't wait to see you!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Hey, we're going home to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. What a cowinkiedink!

Are you related to Marc Honma? He's my high school classmate!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great selection of places! :)

genkitummy said...

shar-thanks for letting me know. i went there on saturday, but there was no kulolo. :(

lore-i've been home for 3 days and so far it's been great!

shayna-saw you already! yay! if i go back to yogurtland, i'll let you know.

nate-n-annie-yup, marc's my cousin. what a small world! have fun during your trip back to hawaii!

lori-hi!thanks! i just went to liliha bakery and bought a butter roll (i've been thinking about the butter rolls ever since i saw them on your blog)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Hey, are you going to be in town on the 19th? I'm trying to get together a bunch of FoodBuzz Featured Publishers for a dinner at Tokkuri-Tei. FoodBuzz will pay for it! If you are in town, and are interested, send me an email asap through the contact link on my website.

Anonymous said...

Hey Genki :)

Try Youngs fishmarket for kulolo..they usually have some on the counter.

Btw Aunty Caryn is my friend from many years ago...small world.

take care and have a wonderful wedding

Michelle said...

Oh I can't wait to hear about (at least some of) these places! Have a wonderful wedding and fill us in when you're finished! (and PS. DO come to the foodbuzz thing if it doesn't interfere - it would be so fun to meet you!!)