Wednesday, March 12, 2008

caffeine and addiction

I had to write a paper about a Food Additive for my Food Safety class. While presenting information about caffeine to the class, a student asked me if caffeine was an addictive substance. I said, "no" and this led to the professor telling me I was wrong and I ended up looking like a dummy. This frustrated me because I had initially thought that caffeine was an addictive source while writing the paper, but then I changed my mind. In class I started doubting myself again (b/c the teacher and some of the students disagreed with me), so I went to check it out after class.
I will post more about this later, but for now, read this article: http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=13971 Although the review was funded by the American Beverage Association.

Here's the American Beverage Association's view on caffeine. Of course, this might be a slightly biased point of view because the ABA wants to keep caffeine in beverages.

Even the FDA cannot figure it out. I guess what really needs to happen is to have a study conducted on caffeine and addiction that is funded by the government.

No comments: