Saturday, January 26, 2008

Kombucha

A friend of mine suggested I try a new fermented tea beverage called kombucha. She told me that she liked the drink, but also told me it tastes like vinegar. Grrrreeeaatt...that kind of advice would really encourage the average person to purchase it. Anyhoo, yes, I'm an anomoly, soI went to Strawberry Fields to pick it up. When I was there the clerk asked me, "Have you tried it before? *huge pause*It takes like....vinegar." I still bought the drink. (Hey, what do you expect, my thesis is on functional beverages).
I could not really place the flavor, but if I had to describe it, I'd say it tastes like beer made of tea. There's a bit of effervescence in a low-sugar solution. It's quite interesting...not yummy, but interesting. In a 16oz bottle, there is only 70 Calories and 4 grams of sugar.
It's supposed to have probiotics in it and all these other things. The label touts that it supports weight control, healthy hair and skin, metabolism, and a long list of other benefits. This is followed by a line that states, "These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease." I am taking a Food Safety course, so I'm keen on statements on food labels now. So, maybe this tea elixir is good for you. After all, it does have a taste that makes you think, "It tastes like it's healthy."

No comments: